The Law Office of James A. Conley | Personal Injury Attorney

Serving Edmonds, Washington And Surrounding Areas

Fighting For What Matters Most

Will you get more money for catastrophic accident injuries?

Vehicle accident survivors left with severe or catastrophic injuries have much to consider when filing an accident/injury claim. The most pressing consideration is obtaining sufficient compensation to cover the medical care necessary for your injuries.

Each state has unique injury and accident compensation laws. All injured victims need to know these laws to help them determine if a settlement offer is fair and meets their needs.

What damages are there for the severely injured?

Crash survivors typically qualify for financial compensation after suffering losses in a car accident. They are called damages and fall into two categories in most states, including Washington.

Economic damages address the financial harm or losses arising from a crash. Below are some examples of these damages:

  • Rental car expenses
  • Lost earning capacity
  • Lost wages from missing work
  • Medical expenses for accident injuries
  • Damage to the vehicle and its contents

When victim injuries are catastrophic or disabling, they may seek non-economic damages—also called pain and suffering—in addition to those above. The additional compensation helps them deal with any extraordinary conditions associated with the accident. Examples include:

  • Decreased quality of life
  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Mental and emotional distress
  • Disfigurement, disability and scarring

You may also seek loss of consortium non-economic damages if the accident substantially interferes with your intimate relationships. Those disabled by a crash and people who lost a spouse in an accident often qualify for loss of consortium damages.

The path to recovery for victims with catastrophic crash injuries can take months or years to complete. To ensure your claim yields the maximum compensation, expand your knowledge of Washington state car accident and injury laws.

FindLaw Network