Serving Edmonds, Washington And Surrounding Areas

Fighting For What Matters Most

What To Know About Car Accident Claims

The aftermath of a motor vehicle accident is an overwhelming and chaotic experience. The aftermath of the crash, however, can be equally overwhelming. You will likely have questions about insurance and liability, which have complex answers.

Because accident claims can be complicated, the Law Office of James A. Conley offers clear legal advice. Mr. Conley blends fierce advocacy with friendly service. After an auto accident in Seattle, he can help you find a positive path forward.

Which types of car accident injuries warrant a personal injury claim?

Drivers and passengers can seek compensation to recover from a variety of serious injuries, including:

  • Broken bones
  • Traumatic brain injuries and concussions, often from whiplash
  • Spinal cord and nerve injuries, including paralysis
  • Significant muscle strain, particularly in the neck and back
  • Loss of limb

These injuries, whether temporary or permanent, could ultimately impact your ability to work, take care of yourself and enjoy life. A personal injury claim can help cover the costs of medical treatment, lost wages and other financial losses so that you can recover as much as possible.

What should I say to the insurance company after a car accident?

Once you have resolved any urgent matters following a crash, it is important to notify your insurance company promptly. The insurance company will likely ask questions about how the accident happened.

Whether speaking with your own insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company, do not admit fault. Apologizing or acknowledging a possible mistake could mean unintentionally losing your chance to recover compensation. Because you may not know the extent of your injuries until you see a doctor, avoid minimizing any harm you suffered.

Instead, stick to the hard facts of the incident such as time and location. You may want to consult with an attorney to protect your rights before discussing with insurance companies.

What can I do if the other driver does not have insurance?

Although all drivers need to carry insurance in Washington, not all drivers do – or their policy might not have enough coverage to pay for the damages. In this situation, your own insurance policy may offer coverage to fill the gap. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim through your own insurer.

Otherwise, you may directly sue the other driver for damages. Your lawyer can attempt to negotiate a settlement or pursue trial to get fair compensation for you despite the driver’s lack of insurance.

Speak Directly With An Experienced Lawyer

Because the stakes are high, getting the right information is critical. Mr. Conley can give you customized legal advice for your car accident case. Call 425-510-7990 or send an email to schedule your consultation.