Serving Edmonds, Washington And Surrounding Areas

Fighting For What Matters Most

Frequently Asked Personal Injury Questions

For nearly 18 years, the Law Office of James A. Conley has worked extensively with injury victims in Seattle and throughout Western Washington. When meeting with our clients, we often hear a lot of questions surrounding their personal injury claims and the legal process for resolving their case. Below are answers to some of the more commonly asked questions we hear.

What Should I Do If I Am In An Accident?

The first thing to do is to call 911 so that the police can arrive as quickly as possible to the scene of the accident. Once it is safe to exit your vehicle, take photos of the accident scene and of the damage to your vehicle. When the police arrive, provide a thorough statement and get the insurance information from all drivers involved.

Finally, contact your insurance company to notify them of the accident. With regard to the other parties’ insurance companies, be wary of talking to them. Adjusters ask certain questions to limit the amount of damages you can recover. We can help you avoid missing out on the compensation because of costly mistakes.

If I Was Partially At Fault, Will That Affect My Claim?

The short answer is yes. Washington uses a contributory negligence standard in accident cases. The amount of liability ascribed to you will reduce the amount of damages you receive. For example, if you are 50 percent at fault in an accident, you would only receive 50 percent of the damages.

How Much Time Do I Have To File A Claim?

Washington has a three-year window to file a personal injury claim against the person at fault for the accident. The three-year timer starts on the date of the accident. Failing to file a personal injury claim within this three-year period leaves you without the ability to recover damages through a personal injury claim.

Who Can Be Held Accountable In A Personal Injury Claim?

In most circumstances, the at-fault party will be named as the defendant in a personal injury case. However, there may be circumstances when multiple parties who acted negligently may be named.

For instance, a bar may be liable under Washington’s negligence laws if they sold alcohol to an intoxicated patron. In this case, both the bar and the drunk driver’s insurer would be defendants in the personal injury case.

If I Paid My Medical Bills, Do I Still Have A Claim For Compensation?

You have a right to pursue damages for medical bills, even if you already paid for them. If you are in this situation, make sure you maintain complete documentation of your costs when submitting a claim. The reason for this is your health insurance provider may be eligible to collect compensation for any medical care that they covered.

Do I Need To Hire A Lawyer?

There are two competing forces in a personal injury case. Injury victims want to get full compensation to help ease the financial burdens they are facing after the accident. Insurance companies take measures to pay as little as possible to injury victims.

An attorney can stand by your side to protect your rights and take measures to recover full compensation on your behalf. With more than 20 years of personal injury case experience, attorney James A. Conley knows what tactics insurance companies use to reduce their payments. He uses this knowledge to help you establish a solid legal plan aimed at recovering maximum compensation for your injuries, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Do I Have To Go To Court To Resolve My Case?

Personal injury cases are often settled long before they get to court. That said, there are situations when a fair settlement that adequately compensates you cannot be reached. In these instances, it is important to have a lawyer on your side with broad experience litigating cases. No matter what option is right for you, our firm has the experience and understanding needed to effectively guide you.

You’ve Got Questions. We’ve Got Answers.

We welcome the opportunity to address any questions or concerns you may have about your case. Schedule your free consultation by calling 425-510-7990. You may also contact our Seattle office through our contact form.