Serving Edmonds, Washington And Surrounding Areas

Fighting For What Matters Most

Can you make a personal injury claim for a child’s injuries?

On Behalf of | Nov 9, 2021 | Injuries

When you’re in an auto collision and your child gets hurt, you may wonder if you’ll be able to make a personal injury claim on their behalf. You absolutely can, and should, do so to make sure that you have the money needed to cover their medical bills and other financial needs moving forward.

It can be difficult to know what a fair settlement is in a case involving a child, though. Why? This is because it’s not yet known what kind of career your child would have or will go into or if they may have long-term consequences that affect their ability to work.

You can file a claim for your child’s injuries

Since your child is under the age of 18, you will need to file a personal injury claim on their behalf. You may be able to collect different kinds of damages, such as:

  • Emotional distress
  • Disability coverage
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent injury

As the parent, you may also be able to collect compensation for any financial losses you have as a result of your child’s injuries.

Determining the value of a personal injury claim for a child may be difficult

Depending on your child’s age and if they’ve started working, it may be difficult to determine how much a fair settlement or payout would be when you speak with the insurance company. In a personal injury case, there are many factors that have to be considered, such as the earnings your child may make in the future and if those earnings may be lower now as a result of a new disability or permanent injury.

This is why it’s a good idea to talk to someone who understands the law when you are trying to decide on a settlement agreement or determining if you want to sue. A personal injury case could be worth a significant amount of money, but you need to look at it from all angles to find its true value.

Organizing your personal injury case will help you make sure you seek all the compensation your child is entitled to. That way, they’ll have the financial support they need moving forward.

FindLaw Network