Serving Edmonds, Washington And Surrounding Areas

Fighting For What Matters Most

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  » Do I Need A Criminal Defense Lawyer?

Why You Need A Criminal Defense Lawyer

The prosecution has experienced attorneys working to make the case against you. Between the arresting officer and the prosecutor, they may have started establishing their side of the case before your arrest.

The best defense starts early. You need someone on your side who understands the law as it applies to your situation. Talking to an attorney as soon as possible can help you take advantage of all the options available in your case.

The Law Office of James A. Conley can help you stand up for your rights and build a strong defense for the charges against you.

Knowledgeable Representation

Part of building your defense is talking to someone who understands the criminal justice system. When you represent yourself, you risk not knowing what options to ask for when talking to the judge and the prosecution. Often, defendants take deals without knowing all the long-term consequences, including:

  • Loss of firearms. If you plead guilty to a felony, you may lose your right to own or even live in a home where other people own guns.
  • Bigger fines or longer sentences. Defendants representing themselves are often unsuccessful in negotiating for a lower fine or prison sentence.
  • Impact on child custody. If you are convicted of a felony, there could be an impact on your ability to spend time with your children.

Often, without a lawyer, the criminal justice system in Washington can take a long time getting through a case. The prolonged timeline can make it more difficult for you to get back to your job and family. The Law Office of James A. Conley can help you build your case and speed up the process so that you can move on with your life.

Call Today

We can help you learn more about the charges against you and what it will take to build your defense. To make an appointment in our Edmonds office, call 425-672-7150 or fill out our online contact form.